Bell Rock Cemetery

Bell Rock Cemetery is Malden's oldest cemetery.  It is comprised of 3.3 Acres, and is first recorded in an agreement between the residents of Malden, (then known as Mystic Side) and the townsmen of Charlestown, in 1648.  Most of the earliest burials are unmarked, and only in the county records of the time are any indication of the deaths that had occurred.  The earliest marked grave discovered is that of Alice Brackenbury, who passed on Dec 28, 1670.  There are 51 recorded deaths prior to Ms. Brackenbury.  Although it cannot be confirmed who may have been buried there, it is likely that most of those listed in county records would have been buried there.  During that time  it was  known as "Sandy Bank"  After 1832,  with the establishment of the new burial ground on Salem Street, this cemetery became commonly known as the "Old Burial Ground"  It wasn't until 1882 the cemetery became known as Bell Rock Cemetery, in reference to the early history of Malden. 

Malden has grown and evolved around the Old Burial ground.  

A Plaque Honors soldiers of the American Revolution, 

For a close up view to read the names, click on the 

picture.  Many of the names listed here, are names 

common to the area even today.